Thursday, July 12, 2007

Campaign

A dear reader told me that today's campaign magazine (13th July, 2007, page 5) published a snippet out of the 'Street Creative' post about creative teaming. First time in campaign, yay.

It shows two things. First, someone is actually reading my blog and not only looking at the pictures and second, the creative team of today (or the future) is a rather interesting topic. While I wrote about only two factors (art director + copywriter) imagine how tempting it would be to debate what other ingredients (planner, digital expert) you could throw in to spice things up. I think the idea is everything, almost. Without the necessary skills (art + copy) it won't stand out in today's clutter. But real ad world (is there something like this?) is different from my situation. If you're trying to get a placement and the first job, execution doesn't matter that much. At least that's what they say. Great execution is a good bonus, but without the 'big idea' it doesn't matter. Imagine how crappy a Sony balls three frame storyboard would look like drawn in a student book...

What I've learned so far is that agencies expect young creatives to have lots great strategies in their book. Maybe I should try teaming with a planner?

By the way: If you look at page five, it says 2006, all other pages in this magazine say 2007. Spooky, friday the 13th stuff.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff :)

What you're saying clearly hit a spot with someone and they are obviously reading your blog (who exactly 'they' are I don't know - but it's someone with influence)

First of many articles in Campaign eh!

Anonymous said...

If you added another speech mark to the campaign article it would be '666'.

Crazy shit!

Anonymous said...

Crazy & creative

Anonymous said...

indeed, a revolutionary idea! two art directors/designers working together.
we have been doing it for 6 years, and from that parkbench has emerged so we can work with other creatives in all fields depending on the client brief.
two's a crowd, three's company etc...

when the sun comes out, do visit aparkbench.co.uk
bring own sandwiches.

Anonymous said...

indeed, a revolutionary idea! two art directors/designers working together.
we have been doing it for 6 years, and from that parkbench has emerged so we can work with other creatives in all fields depending on the client brief.
two's a crowd, three's company etc...

when the sun comes out, do visit aparkbench.co.uk
bring own sandwiches.

Anonymous said...

aparkbench... Nice site! :)

Do you both freelance then? I was also wondering if you were ex bucks also? I recognise your timeout work from one of John Hazelwood's stories...

Anonymous said...

it's a nice site indeed! I'm ex bucks as well :)

Unknown said...

You know, I'm a planner and it's been a while now I've been thinking about a planner working with a creative side by side as a real team.

I've been reading your posts and really liked it, if I were in London I would volunteer to team with you ;-)

Good luck!